This morning we printed our own fabric. This is inspired by Adinkra printed cloth, which is traditionally woodblock printed fabric from Ghana. Adinkra uses symbols, but I just wanted to make ours simple for the first go around and introduce the concept of print. I used a carrot cut in three sections to make 3 different sized circles. We talked about pattern yesterday, and I demonstrated pattern today; but Ryder was just content with the act of printing. The concept of pattern I think is still maybe a year away. I sewed his cloth into a pillow and he stuffed it tonight. I think we are going to revisit fabric making/printing.
Kool aid playdough
- 1 cup of flour (up to 2 if you feel it is thin)
- 1 cup of boiling water
- 3 tablespoons of corn oil
- 1/2 cup of salt
- 1 package of koolaid
- Mix each ingredient in with the flour
- Add boiling water
- Mix throughly
- Knead the flour and other ingredients until very well mixed
- Add more flour if necessary for texture to create a soft dough
- After you’re done playing with the play-dough, keep it in a Ziploc bag or Tupperware container.